Source Book: Book Soup
The Art Institute in Chicago may be guarded by two giant lions but at Book Soup in West Hollywood, it is two golden dogs. All who enter the iconic independent bookstore are greeted by the golden pups and will find themselves immersed in over 60,000 different titles. Discover a little more about one of the places we can’t wait to explore from our new home in The James West Hollywood – Sunset.
1. Known as a celebrity mecca, the store regularly hosts celeb authors for book-signings, lectures and readings. Not to mention they are customers as well. It’s not uncommon to catch Drew Barrymore perusing the best sellers section.
2. Why the celeb attraction? Since 1975 owner Glenn Goldman has built the store to include a dazzling selection of art, film, photography, music and a fiction section dedicated to small press, university and international titles.
3. Book Soup is considered a cultural fixture of the Sunset Strip and has been featured in a number of films and TV shows, including the Showtime series Californication where the main characters met at Book Soup in the pilot.
4. Sir Elton John is a massive fan of the store. In fact, he recently said if it ever left the neighborhood he would “throw himself off a cliff.”
5. You can check out the top picks from their very educated (and very opinionated) staff at any time here.
Want to experience Book Soup for yourself? Book a room at The James West Hollywood – Sunset and make the short stroll to this West Hollywood institution.